Pages

Followers

Monday 4 January 2016

Blog Follower Information

Hi everyone, have you noticed a drop in your blog followers? 
Or are you missing posts on blogs you followed?
I have & I was visiting my friend Linda's blog, when I came across a post with 
the following information, which I wanted to share with you!
This explains a lot!

In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs. 

As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other Open Id providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.

We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.



Posted by Michael Goddard, Software Engineer

~~~

This change was due to take effect on Jan 11, but as I mentioned, I've already noticed 
a drop in follower numbers, as have some of my other blogging friends 
 I apologise if this causes any inconvenience & I hope that you can create a Google account, which will allow you to continue following my blog and others, who use Blogger.  

If you do create a Google account, you will have to "Follow" blogs again, as those who didn't
 have an account will be permanently removed from our lists.  However, if you choose not
 to open a Google account, you can still follow blogs using other means such as Bloglovin', Networked Blogs, by email etc but you'll have to check each blog individually
to see what options are available to you!.

I greatly appreciate everyone who follows my blog & I hope that you'll continue 
to follow by whatever means suits you! 

11 comments:

  1. Hiya Dawn, I hope you had a lovely xmas. Happy New Year !!!
    I did wonder what was going on as I have had quite a big drop, thank you for letting me know x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that explains a lot! Thank you for sharing this x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I lost six in a couple of hours too ..... had a sneaking suspicion it was nothing personal!!!

    Thanks for posting the reason - always good to know

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dawn, thank you for the update.

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this Dawn, it does explain why I lost over 20 followers.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Dawn, I was wondering where some of my followers had gone. This explains it. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Dawn I had wondered what had happened. Happy 2016. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize this - thanks for sharing sweet girl! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this Dawn, I hope you don't mind I have shared on my blog as well.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Dawn I hadn't notice will share this on my blog to if that's OK Hugs Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, for sharing this. I have noticed a decrease and wondered what was happening. I guess I saw this too late, but at least I know what is happening. I think I will share this on my blog so others know what is going on. I hope that is okay.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time & trouble to comment! I truly appreciate your feedback!
Hugs
Dawn xx